How To Cook Beef Stifado – Greek Stew
2 lbs beef stew meat
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 cup dry red wine
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
¾ cup medium-grain rice
½ cup water
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the beef stew meat and season with salt and pepper. Cook until seared, about 5 minutes.
3. Add in the onion, garlic, tomato paste, bay leaf, oregano, cinnamon, allspice, and coriander. Cook until fragrant and the onions are softened, about 3 minutes.
4. Add in the vinegar and red wine and bring to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes until the liquid is reduced by half.
5. Add in the tomatoes and rice, stirring to combine. Pour in the beef broth and stir in. Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Cover the pot and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened.
7. Taste the stew and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve warm over rice or with crusty bread. Enjoy!